Career and job opportunities at UNSW Engineering
Join Australia's largest engineering faculty
UNSW Engineering is an attractive career choice for engineering academics, researchers and professional staff. Find out what job opportunities are on offer and learn more about the generous entitlements.
UNSW Engineering is at the forefront of innovation in action and we support our employees to do their best. For almost 70 years the Faculty has gone from strength to strength, and this is undoubtedly due to our people which today number 500 academics and 300 professional and technical staff. Careers such as “Father of Photovoltaics” Martin Green, cyberterror specialist Richard Buckland and geothermal expert Klaus Regenauer-Lieb have flourished under the support of the Faculty.
- No.1 engineering faculty in Australia* and No. 21 in the world**
- the largest engineering faculty in Australia, offering 25 undergraduate degrees and 100+ degree combinations, enrolling over 13,000 students across nine engineering disciplines
- delivering world-class research and innovation through 31 research centres, leading solar cell efficiency, cyber security, robotics, quantum computing and bionic vision
- supportive of overseas opportunities and exchange, encouraging our students and staff to broaden their horizons
- leaders in providing our students with dynamic experiences. Our student-led activities have gained international standing through custom-built solar-cars, satellites and soccer-playing robots
If you are interested in helping shape the future of Australia’s leading engineering faculty, we look forward to hearing from you.
Source: *2015 ARWU/SJTU rankings **2015/16 QS rankings
UNSW Engineering is the place to energize your talent and build your academic career among some of the brightest minds in the country. In addition to attractive pay rates with annual increases, and generous super contributions of up to 17%, we have a series of academic development programs specifically designed to enhance your work and career opportunities. These include:
- committed Career Development Committees for all Level B and C academic staff to support the early stages of career progression
- annual academic promotion rounds
- an Early Career Academics Networking Group
- access to the Faculty Carers Award that provides funding to help researchers maintain their research performance and career trajectory should they need to take a break due to carer’s responsibilities such as childcare or maternity leave
Our professional staff thrive in a collaborative community of talented, diverse and energetic people who are passionate about technology, knowledge and creativity. We offer a wide range of interesting and challenging job opportunities that support our world-class academic environment and advance the Faculty’s mission in meaningful ways. We are committed to providing the most attractive work environment underwritten by:
- attractive and transparent pay rates, with annual increases and a structured system so you know exactly where you stand
- generous leave provisions, including up to 36 weeks of paid parental leave and payment of annual leave loading
- generous employer super contributions of up to 17%
- a future-focused performance development program called myCareer to help you build a long and successful career
Why work for us?
Here are some great reasons why you should choose UNSW Engineering
From our competitive salaries, generous superannuation and professional development opportunities to our flexible work options, inspiring physical environment and on-campus facilities, UNSW is an attractive choice for engineering academics and professional staff alike.
Watch the video and find out why you should join UNSW Engineering to launch your career or thrive as an experience professional or academic.
Supporting female academics
At UNSW Engineering, we are committed to addressing the under-representation of women in engineering in junior and senior appointments and on key policy and decision-making bodies.
We strongly encourage female applicants who are interested in our gender equity vision to apply.
Once in the role, we actively support women to harness their talent and reach their potential with confidence and competence through University-wide initiatives and Faculty-specific programs:
- family-friendly work practices including variable work hours, access to flex-time and up to 36 weeks of paid parental leave
- the Academic Women in Leadership program which assists participants to respond to the issues and opportunities that they face in a way that supports a successful academic leadership career
- the Faculty Carers Award that provides funding to help researchers maintain their career trajectory should they need to take a break due to carer’s responsibilities
- Research Student Maternity Scholarships that provide financial support for female PhD research students who suspend enrolment to have a child
Join our team and we will help you achieve a long-term and satisfying vision for your career in a way that recognises, and is in harmony with, your other life commitments.
Working at UNSW
Put simply, people are core to our strategy. UNSW Engineering not only has a friendly and inclusive environment, but we have established a number of mechanisms that can both enhance your career and, importantly, support you if your life circumstances change. These include structured growth opportunities for academics and professional staff, and the provision of financial assistance to academics and PhD candidates going on carer’s leave. Below you can read about a few staff members who’ve benefited from these additional programs and opportunities.
“The Academic Women in Leadership Program has helped me enormously. I’ve particularly benefitted from the networking opportunities among other female academics, many of whom are on a similar career and personal level to myself.”
“I applied for the Faculty Carers Award because I was going on maternity leave. I received salary support for a Postdoctoral Research Associate for one year and was able to continue work on the Australian Research Council funded project that I was the lead investigator on. This award contributed to meeting the goals and milestones of that project.”
“UNSW has a great culture. The community is so warm and friendly and people have a genuine desire to make this university the best it can be. The flexibility and the opportunity for growth make it a great place to progress your professional career.”
How to apply
At UNSW, our people strategy is simple. We want the best people to come to UNSW to do their best work.
All job applications should be submitted online via jobs.unsw.edu.au, and should include your cover letter, resume and a statement addressing the selection criteria as listed in the position description. If you have any questions about the role or recruitment process please visit jobs.unsw.edu.au/how-apply