Each year we recognise the important work of our teachers through the University and Faculty of Engineering teaching awards. We also encourage our staff to apply for national awards such as the Australian Awards for University Teaching.
UNSW Engineering Students' Choice Teaching Award
In 2018 we introduced this new initiative to shine a light on inspiring teachers in the faculty. As a student-focused award, it is organised, nominated and judged by our students, revealing great teachers in Engineering who might not consider putting themselves forward for an award.
The award is presented in front of the Engineering education community at the annual Engineering Education Showcase.
The Vice-Chancellor's Award for Teaching Excellence (VCATE)
This award recognises the passionate teachers who are transforming how our students learn. Nominations for this annual award are due in September. Those considering applying should consult with their Head of School. The awards on offer include the:
- Vice-Chancellor’s Awards for Outstanding Contributions to Student Learning
- Vice-Chancellor’s Awards for Programs that Enhance Learning
- Vice-Chancellor’s Awards for Teaching Excellence
- Awards for Teaching Excellence (General)
- Awards for Teaching Excellence (Early Career)
- The Heinz Harant Award for Teaching Innovation
Learn more about the VCATE Teaching Awards.
Faculty of Engineering Staff Excellence Awards
These Faculty awards were established to encourage exceptional and outstanding service or work within the Faculty.
Nominations for the Education Excellence and Innovation Award cover:
- Innovative delivery or re-design of an existing course or program
- Introduction of a new course or program
- Technology enabled innovation
- Improvements to management, support and training of sessional staff
- Collaboration (especially cross-school/faculty) for the purpose of supporting new teaching initiatives
- Outstanding work with students in areas such as mentoring and advising, supervision of projects or practical work
- Outstanding work with groups/organisations outside of the school/faculty (e.g. companies, research centres etc.) for the provision or development of new and/or relevant teaching and topics
- Exceptional student feedback and/or peer review outcomes
- Effectively embedding research-integrated learning into programs
Submit your nomination by mid-November via ENGage (staff login required). The winners are announced in December each year at the Engineering Town Hall.
Scientia Education Academy
Established in October 2016, the Scientia Education Academy gives UNSW and its outstanding academics a platform to showcase excellent teaching. The Academy recognises inspiring educators - the Scientia Education Fellows - and harnesses their drive and enthusiasm to enhance learning and teaching across UNSW.
KPMG Inspiring Teaching Award in a First Year Undergraduate Program
The KPMG Award celebrates teachers who create rich learning environments and provide a consistently excellent educational experience for students.
Voted by first year students, the winner receives a $3000 cash prize and certificate presented at the awards lunch hosted by KPMG with their senior representatives and UNSW staff. Voting opens in early September.
Australian Awards for University Teaching
These Awards presented by the Australian Government celebrate and reward excellence in university teaching. There are four Award types promoting and recognising excellence in learning and teaching:
- Citations for Outstanding Contributions to Student Learning
- Awards for Programs that Enhance Learning
- Awards for Teaching Excellence
- The Award for the Australian University Teacher of the Year
For more information and key dates visit The Australian Awards for University Teaching.