A legacy of creating solutions to global challenges
Since 1949, The University of New South Wales has been a leader in engineering, science and technology. The faculty was established by the first Dean and head of Electrical Engineering, Professor Harold Brown. The revolution of Information Technology saw rapid growth and development within the faculty.
In the 60 years since the faculty was established, we have gone from four founding schools to eight schools of engineering including Biomedical, Chemical, Civil & Environmental, Computer Science, Electrical & Telecommunication, Mechanical & Manufacturing, Minerals & Energy Resources and Photovoltaic & Renewable Energy Engineering.
We have always applied innovation and a willingness to meet contemporary challenges. Our priority has always been to train industry ready engineers and undertake crucial research to develop new knowledge bases and solve pressing issues and challenges.
For many years the Faculty of Engineering has been the major centre for engineering studies and research in Australia, with the widest choice of engineering disciplines and internationally renowned research programs. The Faculty's graduates are consistently in high demand by industry and government.
Looking to the Future
The Faculty of Engineering at UNSW continues its international focus, with staff and students coming from all parts of the world and strong research collaborations with leading universities and research institutions globally. We have long maintained superior standing in the Times Higher Education Supplement and the Shanghai Jiao Tong Index. This outstanding international recognition has been achieved by the excellent contributions to teaching and research by its staff and the success of its graduates.