Who we are
CREATE is UNSW’s maker group. We have won competitions such as the Droid Racing Competition; exhibited in festivals such as VIVID Sydney; and work on ‘just because’ projects such as building a working replica of the BB8 droid from Star Wars. CREATE exists so students can get practical experience which complements what is learnt in class. We complete projects that we find interesting and that will enhance our skills, knowledge and employability.
Major goals and achievements
- CREATE UAS: Our Unmanned Aerial Systems team participated in the 2017 Land O’Lakes Drone Challenge, where it ended up playing in the top 5 finalists. This team is currently involved in making a Medical Delivery UAV (unmanned aerial vehicle) for the 2018 UAV Challenge: Medical Express.
- CREATE DRC: This team has been involved in making a computer vision racing droid for the QUT Droid Racing Competition. The team came first place in the 2016 and 2017 competitions.
- BCR8: The team is currently building a working replica of the BB8 droid from Star Wars.
- Vivid Sydney: CREATE has participated in the annual City of Sydney Vivid Light Festival from 2015 and onwards. Tracing back through our history… in 2015 we made a full-sized robotic Pacman Display, in 2016 we made an interactive Mondrian Cube, in 2017 we built our most popular ‘Crystallise’ Angel Wings, and finally in 2018 we are building Synergy which you’ll have to come see for yourself.
- UGV: Known by the CREATE team as ‘Debbie’, this Unmanned Ground Vehicle is used to develop and test autonomous robotic systems on an easily accessible platform.