Who we are
The UNSW solar racing team, Sunswift, is Australia's top solar car team. The team designs and builds solar-powered cars to race in the biennial Bridgestone World Solar Challenge – a 3,000km race from Darwin to Adelaide competing against universities from all around the world. Formed in 1996, the project is entirely student-run and not-for-profit. Since it’s formation, Sunswift has produced six solar cars and has established a stellar reputation for fast tracking careers, winning prizes and breaking world records.
Major goals and achievements
- 2019: Aiming to win the Bridgestone World Solar Challenge 2019!
- 2018: Aiming to break the Australian Transcontinental Record, travelling from Perth to Sydney
- 2017: 3rd in Practicality Judging of Cruiser Class in World Solar Challenge
- 2016: Currently working on becoming the first internationally recognised road legal solar car.
- 2015: Fourth place in the world solar challenge.
- 2014: Broke the FIA world record for the fastest electric vehicle over a 500km distance.
- 2007: Sunswisft has held the Transcontinental Record, travelling from Sydney to Perth purely on solar power since 2007.