Chemical Engineering Research Open Day
Are you curious about starting a research degree?
Current undergraduate and prospective students are invited to attend an upcoming ‘Open Day’ to find out more about postgraduate research opportunities and to explore the facilities offered at the School of Chemical Engineering.
The event will kick off with an information session to outline the different research disciplines and examples of current projects going on in the school. Followed by presentations from former PhD students who are now employed within industry, research and government sectors.
A Q&A session will conclude the information session. Afterwards guests will be invited to visit a number of laboratories to preview facilities and will have the opportunity talk to current PhD students about their student experience and learn about their research projects. Check out current postgraduate research projects available.
Why do a PhD?
- Average starting salary for Chemical Engineers with a PhD is $78K in Australia
- More attractive to future employers as you have more hands-on research/work experience beyond what is assigned in the classroom
- Employable in major industries such as chemical, petroleum, pharmaceutical, food and energy
- Major employers include: Procter and Gamble, Unilever, GSK, Shell as well as continuing successfully in academia
- High level skills in research processes, including the ability to independently design, conduct experiments and analyse data from a research project
- Strong communication skills and attention to detail
- indulge in the luxury of having Dr as your title!
Chemical Engineering Postgraduate Research Open Day Agenda:
5.00pm – 6.00pm | Information Session, M10
- Overview of Chemical Engineering research areas
- Former PhD guest speakers
6.00pm – 7.00pm | Research Laboratory Visits
7.00pm – 7.30pm | Pizza served
Research at the School of Chemical Engineering
Ranked as one of the top Chemical Engineering schools in Australia (5 Star QS ranking for excellence in research in the world*) the School of Chemical Engineering at UNSW Sydney is a leader in fundamental and applied research. With modern facilities, eleven research centres and groups working in the areas of Chemical, Energy, Food, Health, Environment, Water, Biomolecular and Process Engineering research, the School of Chemical Engineering is a vibrant and research-intensive environment. The School is at the forefront of today’s most exciting technological advancements, offering local and international students the very best research training. View our research student profiles.
As a foundation school of UNSW, the School of Chemical Engineering has a long and proud history. This includes innovation and global impact spanning membrane technology, catalysis, vanadium batteries, polymers and nanomaterials. Our researchers are world class and many of our graduates have emerged to become technology entrepreneurs or leaders of global companies. Read some of our alumni profiles.