High school students

Information for High School Students

As you approach the end of school, you’re probably sick of the question: “Have you decided what you are going to do when you leave school?”. How are you meant to know at your age what you want to do with the rest of your life? Some people can be really encouraging, and others try to convince you to change your mind. Either way, it’s your decision and so it’s important to look at all the options and make an informed decision. 

Never a dull moment in Chemical Engineering

Chemcial Engineering is one of the most diverse career paths you could hope for. Graduates work in all stages of production processes from using chemistry to invent or improve base materials to working out the economic side of production – and they work in industries as far ranging as cosmetics, medicine, petroleum and food. It’s a highly rewarding career too (yes, that includes being well paid) with excellent opportunities for career progression and world travel.

If you’re reading this, then you’re probably aged between fifteen and seventeen and somewhere along the line, either through a suggestion from someone you trust and admire or from something you saw online, you’re thinking about chemical engineering as a career. That’s great. We think you would love the opportunities you get with a career in Chemical Engineering. Find out more about careers in Chemical Engineering

University entrance marks required

Chemical Engineering is a popular degree, it is also quite demanding, so the ATAR is high. University entrance rates change every year, but as a rough guide you’ll need to get around 91/100. So study hard and stay focused, because if you want a career as a Chemical Engineer, there is no better place to get those qualifications than UNSW Australia.

The Faculty of Engineering has a special scheme called FEAS which combines school marks with a personal interview to find out how much you want to do engineering and how suited you would be to it. If you think you might just miss out on the required ATAR, then you should consider applying for FEAS

Find out more about how to apply