This week I loved everything about engineering
CVEN’s work experience week has been operating and evolving for eight successful years. This year sixty Year 10 high school students from around NSW joined CVEN academics and industry partners on sites around Sydney to experience the world of Civil and Environmental Engineering. Students came from Coffs Harbour, Deniliquin, Goulburn, Griffith, Illawarra, Kooringal, Mullumbimby, Newcastle, Wagga Wagga, and all areas in and around Sydney.
I will cherish this experience forever and ultimately this week has positively influenced my love for engineering
The NSW Department of Education also sent their Business Relationships Advisor to join us on one of our site visits around Sydney. Rosemary Seberry commented that “students gave me positive feedback about what they had been doing… industry partners were very willing to share their knowledge and experience… and we look forward to continuing this relationship.”
The students appreciated visiting Richard Crookes Construction site at UTS, Multiplex-managed sites at Sussex Street and Block 11 Central Park, as well as Laing O’Rourke’s ‘Innovation Space’. They also visited the UNSW Water Research Laboratory, Centennial Parklands, Seacliff Bridge, North Head and Cronulla Waste Treatment Plants, Barangaroo Delivery Authority HQ, the NSW Transport Management Centre, the UNSW Driving Simulator Lab and UNSW iCinema. Students returned back to the university each afternoon to write their daily reports in the School’s computer laboratory.
Feedback from students about the program include:
- “today solidified my long-standing passion for construction and architecture…. ”.
- “These inspiring experiences surely swayed us aspiring engineers into pursuing a career in construction. A big thank you must be given to those working behind the scenes making these experiences possible.”
- “I will cherish this experience forever and ultimately this week has positively influenced my love for engineering.”
- “All in all, this week was probably one of the most educational weeks I have had; we learned lots of stuff from clearly specialist individuals, professors, doctors and engineers themselves, so a massive thank you.”
- “through the week I have come to a realisation that I love the concept of civil engineering. And have decided to strive and aim for a future in Project Management, complemented by a degree in civil engineering. I have come to know over this week the true importance of engineering in the world and its impact on people’s lives. And I now know that I wish to make this impact possible on others’ lives.”
- “This week I loved everything about engineering”
Our grateful thanks to the generous industry support received from Advisian, ARUP, Barangaroo Delivery Authority, Centennial Parklands, NSW Department of Education, Laing O’Rourke, Multiplex, PSM, Richard Crookes Construction, Sydney Water, Transport Management Centre, and the UNSW Water Research Laboratory.