Admission into a UNSW engineering research program

To apply for a postgraduate research program in the Faculty of Engineering you will need to follow the steps below:

Step 1: Match your research interests with a School in the Faculty of Engineering. See our Key Research Areas.

Step 2: Find a potential engineering research supervisor, from our Research Academic Index.

Step 3: Contact the academic you have identified via email or the Research Student Coordinator.

Step 4: Prepare a research proposal. See our guidelines.

Step 5: Submit your application.

Finding research areas

Before applying to enrol in a Postgraduate Research degree you will need to find a supervisor in your area of interest. You can find our area of interest from Our Research section.

Finding a supervisor

Contact the appropriate Postgraduate Research Coordinator to enquire about the possibility of conducting a research program within their School and to obtain help in finding a supervisor. 

student supervisor

Contact the School of Civil and Environmental Engineering Future Research Student Coordinator

Ms Patricia McLaughlin
School of Civil & Environmental Engineering
UNSW Sydney 2052
Tel: +61 2 9385 5768
Fax: +61 2 9385 6139

Send the Research Student Coordinator as much information as you can in relation to your prior research experience. Initial information should include: 

  • full contact details (phone number including full country and area codes; postal address; email) 
  • a summary of your research interests 
  • your qualifications (including full transcripts of degrees completed, showing all courses completed and marks/grades awarded)
  • your research experience to date (including details of any journal and/or conference papers you may have (co)authored)
  • proposed starting date if offered a place


Fees for local and international Postgraduate Research students differ. Find out more about fees.

Financial assistance

Financial assistance may be available to research students who are Australian residents through the Australian Postgraduate Awards (APA) and National Health and Medical Research Council (NH&MRC) Medical and Biomedical Postgraduate Scholarships. NH&MRC scholarships are available to PhD applicants only.

Research students from countries outside Australia and New Zealand may be eligible to apply for an International Postgraduate Research Scholarship (IPRS).

Details of all current scholarship opportunities and application procedures can be found at GRS Scholarships

Admission process

Detailed information about the application process, including your research proposal and any special instructions, can be found at

International students

Information for prospective international Postgraduate Research students is available at the Graduate Research School.

More information

For information about requirements for admission to Postgraduate Research programs visit the Graduate Research School.