Civil Engineering Building (H20)
Level 4, Room CE413
Associate Professor in the School of Civil and Environmental Engineering
Level 1: Global Navigation Satellite Systems - GNSS (GPS, Glonass, Galileo, BeiDou System-BDS) and Their Integration
Level 2: Multi-Sensor Integration for Positioning, Mapping and Navigation.
Level 3:.Statistical Theory and Its Applications in Positioning, Mapping and Navigation
Interests in Engineering
Why did you get into engineering?
I like mathematics.
What are your research goals?
The developments of reliable mathematical modelling and quality control procedures for geospatial mapping and navigation applications
What do people not understand about you do?
The mathematical models used in the real world applications are not always realistic and the current quality control procedures are always regisorous.
- Geodesy and Spatial Reference Frames (including Map Projections)
- Precise GPS/GNSS Positioning
- Modern Geodesy and Applications
- Fundamentals of Geo-Positioning, Mapping and Navigation (with inertial and satellite navigation as well as vision sensors
Number currently in lab: 6 PhD
Number graduated: 11 PhD, 3 ME (Master of Engineering)
Students Project Areas:
- Global Navigation Satellite Systems - GNSS (GPS, Glonass, Galileo, BeiDou System-BDS, QZSS, etc.) and Their Integration: for a variety of static and kinematic positioning modes to satisfy a wide range of Positioning, Navigation and Timing (PNT) applications. GPS or GNSS is a core technology for modern geodetic control, cadastral and engineering surveying, topographic mapping, photogrammetry as well as national and international geospatial reference frames.
- Multi-Sensor Integration for Positioning, Mapping and Navigation: a variety of sensors, such as, GPS/GNSS, INS, imaging/vision, laser, pseudo-satellites or pseudolites (PLs), magnetometers, as well 3D maps, are optimally integrated in various scenarios for positioning, geospatial mapping, navigation operations. For, example, GNSS/INS/Vision integration is at the very core of any mobile mapping systems based on various terrestrial and airborne platforms, e.g., Unmanned Aerial Vehicles (UAVs) based photogrammetric mapping, being increasingly used for precision farming, mining, construction, transport, environmental, geotechnical and structural monitoring.
- Statistical Theory and Its Applications in Positioning, Mapping and Navigation: Mathematical and stochastic modelling, advanced optimal estimation theory, statistical quality control, fault detection and identification, reliability theory, and integrity monitoring, with a focus on fundamental understanding of the statistical and geometric characteristics inherent within the measurements from various sensors. Such knowledge is then used to design robust modelling and quality control procedures for positioning, mapping and navigation systems.
Looking for projects related to:
Georeferenced coastal views;
Online quality control for real-time mapping
Precise Point Positioning (PPP): Models and Integrity Analysis
Professional Organisations and Service Roles
Founding Editor-in-Chief (2002-2007) Journal of Global Positioning Systems, an international journal and official publication of CPGPS (http://www.cpgps.org
President, IAG Sub-Commission 4.2: Geodesy in Geospatial Mapping and Engineering (2011-2015)
Member of Steering Committee: IAG Sub-Commission 4.1: Alternatives and Backups to GNSS (2011-2015)
Associate Editor (2012 – present) Journal of Navigation, the official publication of the UK Royal Institute of Navigation.
Associate Editor (2000- present) The International Journal of Navigation and Observation, an international journal published by Hindawi Publishing Cooperation, Cario/New York
Member of Editorial Board (2000 – present) GPS SOLUTIONS, an international journal published bySpringer-Verlag,Berlin,Germany
Founding Editor-in-Chief (2002-2008) and Member of Editorial Board (2002 – present) Journal of Global Positioning System.
Awards, Grants, Patents
Guest Professor, Wuhan University, Wuhan, PR China.
Guest Professor, China University of Mining and Technology, Xuzhou, PR China.
Guest Professor, SoutheastUniversity, Nanjing, PR China.
Guest Professor, tate Key Laboratory of Information Engineering in Surveying, Mapping and Remote Sensing (LIESMARS), PR China
Fellowship of the (UK) Royal Institute of Navigation (FRIN), on 16 May 2007, in recognition of my contributions to integration of satellite-based navigation systems. 2007
Fellowship of the International Association of Geodesy (IAG) on 12 July 2007, in recognition of esteemed services,
Japan Invitation Fellowship, awarded by The Japan Society for the Promotion of Science (JSPS), 2011
Co-operative Research Centre for Spatial Information Project 1.01 (2011-2015): “New carrier phase processing strategies for achieving precise and reliable multi-satellite, multi-frequency GNSS/RNSS positioning in Australia” (P Teunissen, K Zhang, Y Feng, J Wang
UNSW/CVEN Research Equipment Grant (2013): “Unmanned Aerial Vehicle (UAV) Platform for Geospatial Mapping, Transport and Environmental Research”, (J. Wang, C Roberts, V Dixit and I Turner).
The National Time Service Center (NTSC), Chinese Academy of Sciences, Research Project (2012-2013): “GNSS Signal Quality Control for Positioning and Timing Applications” (J. Wang)
Ph.D. (8/1999),CurtinUniversity of Technology,Australia.
M.Sc. (7/1990),WuhanTechnicalUniversity of Surveying & Mapping, PRC.
B.Sc. (7/1983),WuhanTechnicalUniversity of Surveying & Mapping, PRC.