Health & Safety
UNSW Health & Safety
UNSW provides advice and assistance to the UNSW community on all matters relating to workplace health, safety and wellbeing. Visit UNSW Health & Safety website for more information.
The School is committed to protecting the health and safety of all staff, students, visitors and contractors. The School consults with staff and students in implementing health and safety practices and systems within the workplace. Inspections and training, combined with a wide range of communication methods, ensure that all staff and students are informed of their responsibilities.
The School will consult with staff and students on HS issues as they arise. Consultation is conducted through the School Workplace Safety Committee and any representatives or ex-officio members on that committee. Minutes of the meetings are posted on the HS noticeboard (located in the 4th Level of the Civil Engineering Building) and on the School's Intranet. Staff and students are encouraged to raise matters with any member of the Committee or directly to the School management.
This Committee is a Level 3 Health & Safety Consultation Committee as described in the UNSW HS Consultation Procedure.
Representation and participation
It is comprised of members elected or nominated from the workplace which are representative of all workgroups within the School. Representatives are elected from undergraduate and postgraduate student bodies. The School Management may appoint representatives.
The physical areas covered by the Committee include:
- Civil and Environmental Engineering Main Building H20
- Civil and Environmental Engineering Laboratory Block – Vallentine Annexe H22
- Water Research Centre – Vallentine Annexe H22
- Heavy Structures Laboratory, Randwick R9
- Water Research Laboratory, Manly Vale
Functions of the committee
Facilitate effective consultation and communication on WHS matters with management, staff and students in the School of Civil and Environmental Engineering. Activities include:
- Talking with people in the workplace about their health and safety concerns;
- Raising HS issues with management and the Committee;
- Following up on outstanding items and giving feedback;
- Preparing for and participating in Committee meetings and allocated tasks;
- Continuing review of the measures taken to ensure the health, safety and welfare of persons at the place of work;
- Conducting scheduled workplace inspections,
- Making recommendations on elimination or control of risks,
- Assisting in the development or review of HS processes, documentation and initiatives (at School, Faculty and University level),
- Making recommendations on HS training requirements;
- Investigating and attempt to resolve HS problems using the resolution process described in the UNSW HS Consultation Procedure;
- Collaborate with supervisors on the investigation of work related incidents and ill health issues, recommend corrective and preventive action, and track completion of actions;
- Where appropriate, be an observer during any formal HS investigation or inspection conducted by UNSW or Safework; &
- Assist management with other agreed HS initiatives, provided that adequate resources are made available to do so.
Membership of School of Civil and Environmental Engineering L3 HS Consultation Committee
Chairperson: Paul Gwynne
Secretary: Laarni Caluducan
|School Management||Travis Wallerfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Infrastructure Laboratory, Geotechnical Laboratory||Paul Gwynneemail@example.com|
|Heavy Structures Laboratories||Ron Moncay/ Zhen-Tian Chengfirstname.lastname@example.org / email@example.com|
|Water Quality Laboratories||Gautam Chattopadhyay/
|firstname.lastname@example.org / email@example.com|
|Water Research Laboratory||Francois Flocardfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Water Research Centre||Robert Steelemail@example.com|
|Centre for Infrastructure Engineering and Safety||Theresa Wisniewskifirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Emergency Control Organisation and First Aid Officers||Gautam Chattopadhyay / Paul Gwynne / Artur Ziolkowski||As above|