Academic advice

Academic Advising

As a result of your current term’s results, you are may not be in good academic standing. For more information on what this means, please visit the link below. The page will explain what your standing means and the consequences of not taking the steps to better your results in future terms.

Please be aware of the following steps you must take now if you are not in GOOD standing

Student responsibilities

  1. All students are expected to make an appointment and meet with their advisor (advisor details below) before the end of the 1st week of next term.
  2. All students on probation, provisional suspension or provisional exclusion are strongly suggested to drop to 18UOC.


If the above student responsibilities are not followed we will not be able to support your appeal should you reach suspension/exclusion later in your program. The purpose of the meeting is to help you so that you do not fall below your current standing.

At your academic advising appointment you will have the opportunity to discuss any academic/personal issues you are facing that are hindering your studies and find the appropriate services/resources to assist you.

Advisor and Appointment information:

Year 1:

Your academic Advisor is David Rey
Please arrange an appointment with David directly.
Phone: David Rey: 9385 5056

Year 2:

Your academic Advisor is Elena Atroshchenko and Linlin Ge
Please arrange an appointment with Arman or Linlin directly.
Email: or
Phone: Elena Atroshchenko: 9385 5094; Linlin Ge: 9385 4177

Year 3:

Your academic Advisor is Ehab Hamed and Divya Jayakumar Nair
Please arrange an appointment with Ehab or Divya directly.
Email: or
Phone: Ehab Hamed: 9385 9765; Divya Nair: 9385 0396

Ehab Hamed, please email him directly to set up an appointment. 

Year 4 onwards:

Your academic Advisor is Robert Holdom
Please arrange an appointment with Robert directly.
Phone: 9385 5773

All years UG Surveying:

Your academic Advisor is Bruce Harvey
Please arrange an appointment with Bruce directly.
Phone: 9385-4178

Postgraduate Students:

Your academic advisor is Sascha Eisenträger 
Phone: 9385 0128

Please arrange an appointment with Sascha directly by emailing him. 

These steps are in place so that the school can assist with getting you back on track with your studies. We would like to see all of our students succeed and complete their programs!

University Services

The Learning Centre

The Learning Centre provides assistance for study-related problems. They have a range of services for all students.

Student Counsellor

The UNSW Counselling and Psychological Services (CaPS) provides a free and confidential service to all students enrolled at UNSW. A range of services are offered to assist students to make the most of their university experiences

Equity Learning Services

Those students who have a disability that requires some adjustment in their teaching or learning environment are encouraged to discuss their study needs with the course coordinator prior to, or at the commencement of, their course, or with the Equity Officer (Disability) at Equity Learning Services [phone: 9385 4734]. Issues to be discussed may include access to materials, signers or note-takers, the provision of services and additional exam and assessment arrangements. Early notification is essential to enable any necessary adjustments to be made.


Engineering Student Support Services

Visit The Nucleus: Student Hub website


For grievances, which the Year Coordinators cannot resolve please, contact the School Undergraduate and Postgraduate Coursework Grievance Officer: A/Professor Mario Attard [phone 9385 5075] [email].  Please see the following site for further information on student complaint procedures 


Advanced Standing: A/Professor Mario Attard [phone 9385 5075] [email:]

Civil Engineering Program Coordinator: A/Professor Mario Attard [phone 9385 5075] [email:]

Civil with Architecture Program Coordinator A/Professor Mario Attard [phone 9385 5075] [email:]

Environmental Engineering Program Coordinator: Professor Stuart Khan [phone 9385 5070] [email:]

Surveying and Geospatial Engineering Program Coordinator: Dr Bruce Harvey [phone 9385 4178] [email:]

Course Requirement

You are required to prepare for, and actively participate in seminar/tutorial discussions.

Completion of Assignment Work, Quizzes and Examinations
All set work must be completed. You may fail the course if you do not submit all set work to a satisfactory standard.

Notes on Assessment

Beware! An assignment that includes plagiarized material will receive a 0% Fail, and students who plagiarize may fail the course. Students who plagiarize are also liable to disciplinary action, including exclusion from enrolment.

Plagiarism is the use of another person's work or ideas as if they were your own. When it is necessary or desirable to use other people's material you should adequately acknowledge whose words or ideas they are and where you found them [giving the complete reference details, including page number(s)]. The Learning Centre provides further information on what constitutes plagiarism at:

Keep a Copy of All Written Assignments
Please keep a copy of written assignments (in case your assignment is misplaced).

Submitting Assignments
Assignments should be either handed to the lecturer or demonstrator personally in class, submitted via Blackboard or Moodle, or in assignment boxes as nominated by the course coordinator.

Late Submission
Late work may not be accepted or assessed, or may be penalized. If you have a good reason for being unable to submit your work on time, it is important that you let your demonstrator, lecturer or course coordinator know promptly.

Supplementary Examinations

Refer to Supplementary Examinations page.

Special Considerations

You must make formal application for Special Consideration for the course(s) affected as soon as practicable after the problem occurs and within three working days of the assessment to which it refers. The application must be made on using or at The Nucleus.

For full details please check:

The Student Lifecycle team will assess all special consideration applications and provide outcomes. The School will only be involved in this process for exceptional circumstances.

Student Misconduct

The Student Conduct Policy and the Student Misconduct Procedures outline what the university’s expectations of students are and how misconduct is investigated. You can obtain further information at: and

Students are referred to the following for a statement on academic misconduct