Engineering education pioneers
After 60 years of sustained excellence in teaching and learning, the UNSW School of Civil and Environmental Engineering continues to be a pioneer in engineering education.
With more than two thousand students, we play a leading role in the delivery of undergraduate and postgraduate degree programs in civil engineering, environmental engineering, surveying and geospatial engineering. We are always seeking to improve the learning experience of our students.
Real world engineering education
The UNSW School of Civil and Environmental Engineering has extensive and close links with key industrial, commercial and professional organisations and there is a strong emphasis on design and problem solving in all our programs.
Students benefit from:
- first-hand practical experience by participating in exciting and innovative student-led projects and industry-based training.
- field trips which get students out of the classroom and into the real world of engineering. Students get to see first-hand how theory is applied in practical engineering systems.
- practice courses which focus on the teamwork and communications skills that are essential to today’s professional engineers. These include report writing, presenting to an audience and negotiation skills, as well as integrating discipline knowledge to solve real world problems.
- the latest in online delivery technology that complements face-to-face classroom interaction.
The best of the best in engineering education
Fifteen of the School’s academics have been awarded the prestigious Vice-Chancellor’s Award for Teaching Excellence since its introduction in 1989. The award not only acknowledges the high quality of their teaching in terms of student learning experience and outcomes, but also recognises their scholarly contribution to the theoretical understanding of education.
Current academic teaching staff who have received a V-C Award for Teaching Excellence:
- Dr Ali Amin (former staff)
- Associate Professor Mario Attard
- Professor D G Carmichael
- Dr Steven Davis
- Mr Stephen Moore (twice winner)
- Dr Ali Akbar Nezhad
- Dr Taha Rashidi
- Dr Johnson Shen
- Professor Richard Stuetz