Commencing students should consult this page in addition to the below advice.
Important dates - Semester 1, 2017
|27 February 2017||Classes commence|
|5 March 2017||Last day to change your enrolment|
|31 March 2017||Last day to withdraw without academic or financial penalty (census date)|
|16 April 2017||
Last day to withdraw with financial penalty but without academic penalty
|26 June 2017||
Last day to discontinue courses with academic penalty, resulting in AW grade
General advice on course selection
Selecting your courses for the coming semester can be challenging. A good starting point is to consult the program structure outlined on the Program Options pages and in the UNSW Handbook, which is linked from the table below.
Once you know the core courses and/or electives you want to enrol in, you can consult the UNSW Timetable to determine availability and class times.
Students should take care in 2017 as some courses have had their semester offerings changed or discontinued. The list of changes below is a summary of changes to core courses only and students should confirm elective offerings by checking the timetable before finalising their enrolment.
- COMP1917 will no longer run. It has been replaced by COMP1511.
- COMP1927 will run in Semester One only. It will be replaced by COMP2521 in Semester Two.
- SENG1031 will be replaced by COMP1531 in Semester Two.
- COMP2911 will be offered in Semester One only
- COMP2121 will be offered in both semesters
- COMP2041 will be offered in Semester Two only
- COMP3311 will run in Semester One for 2016
You may also find it useful to use Bojangles to plan your study. Bojangles was developed by UNSW Computing students and though we think it works well it's important to confirm your timetable through myUNSW as this is not an official site.
Finally, enrolling in the courses can be done through myUNSW - make sure that you complete your enrolment and do not leave any courses as 'pending'.
If there have been some program changes you need to be aware of, these will be listed in the following table under program notes. Wherever possible you should endeavour to follow the revised and current version of your program. It is in your best interests to graduate with a qualification reflecting the current requirements for the discipline at UNSW. Should you have any problems following the new program due to a change in program requirements, please seek advice from the UNSW Computing Student Office. We will assist you in developing an appropriate enrolment plan that will not cause any delay in your completion and graduation.
Academic advice can be given by program coordinators, whose details are listed below, however we recommend that you contact the UNSW Computing Student Office first as we can assist you with the majority of your enquiries. Enquiries via email will receive a response within 24 hours.
|• No change for 2016|
• COMP4337 was added as a Depth Elective for 2017
|3978 Computer Science||Program Director||• No change for 2016|
• In the 3648 program students are advised to take COMP4920 (Management and Ethics) in Semester 2 in place of SENG4921.
• The MATH1081 co-requisite for COMP2111 has been changed to a pre-requisite. Students must complete MATH1081 in first year to be able to take COMP2111 and the SENG workshops during second year.