Welcome to UNSW Computer Science and Engineering

All students should visit the UNSW Getting Started website. 

Click through for names of key UNSW Computing personnel and departments and some useful information that may assist you during your orientation period. 


Getting Connected to UNSW IT Systems

As a new staff member at UNSW you will receive a staff ID upon employment. As a new student at UNSW you will receive a student ID. You use this as your UNSW username with your password to access online resources at UNSW. Each staff member and student is automatically assigned a UNSW email address and staff automatically get a UNSW Exchange email account. On campus, staff and students with laptops and mobile devices can access the free UniWide wireless service. For more details on these and other services click here.

UNSW Computing Organisational Structure

Familiarise yourself with our School's Organisational Structure

Human Resources (Staff only)

On your first day at UNSW Computing please contact the Human Resources Consultant (Engineering) to make an appointment to complete necessary HR forms (eg. superannuation, Tax File Number). You will also to be given your UNSW ID staff/student number. 

Your UNSW ID will allow staff to access to secured buildings and rooms and the common kitchen/lunch room. This ID card can also be used to access the UNSW library.

Please contact the Human Resources consultant on telephone 9385 7291 located in Room 606, Building K17.

More information on UNSW Human Resources. All UNSW Computing HR enquiries email.

UNSW and UNSW Computing Policies

UNSW Policies

UNSW Computing Policies & UNSW Computing Guidelines

Health & Safety

As a new staff member at UNSW you must be inducted in Health & Safety procedures and policies. Your supervisor must go through the Health and Safety Induction Form (HS006). You also need to complete a number of training modules.

  • HR Essentials training program offered by UNSW People and Culture which includes a 1 hr introductory session Welcome to UNSW Australia (Register online, through your MyUNSW Account)
  • The Responsible Employee – Online Course.  Please contact UNSW HR team to organise registration for this training (hr@unsw.edu.au)
  • An online building induction for the Computer Science and Engineering building (K17) is available in myUNSW
  • Reading of WHS procedures and policy documents, including:
    • UNSW-RMF-1 – Working in an office environment
  • Completion of WHS training courses:
    • Online Ergonomics Course
    • Online WHS Awareness
    • Health and Safety for Supervisors - mandatory for any staff that supervise staff or students

In addition if you are working in a laboratory you must complete the UNSW Laboratory Induction Form (HS049) and the Online Green Lab Environment Compliance. More information on UNSW Health & Safety.

Parking Permits & TravelPass (Staff only)

The FM Assist has several forms online for you to organise your parking permits. Please ensure you read the Transportation and Parking Handbook prior to parking on campus.  Take your completed form to e-spot who will then issue your parking permit. If you work off campus, please check your local parking rules and regulations.

UNSW offers Annual or Quarterly TravelPass tickets, by salary deduction, to approved staff. TravelPass is a public transport ticket that allows unlimited travel on train, bus and ferry within the specified zone for the valid period. Staff can take advantage of significantly cheaper public transport tickets without the upfront cost.

IT Support

If you have an IT/computing issue, please raise it with UNSW Computing's Computing Support Group (System Support).  If it relates to a UNSW-centrally provided service (such as printing, or Password resets) then you will need to log a ticket with UNSW Central.

A guide for new staff can be found on the UNSW IT website here.

Also refer to Acceptable Use of UNSW Information and Communication Technology Resources Policy,which can be accessed via this link.

Printing (Staff only)

UNSW Managed Print Service (MPS) provides a centralised printing service for staff.  All printers in the School are MPS registered.  For information on how to access the nearest printer to your work area and add a print queue, please see the link.

New Computers (for staff and HDR students) 

New UNSW Computing staff and HDR students are allocated a computer for their work.  Information about what is available and how to apply for it can be found here.

Meeting Rooms & Your Workspace

There are a variety of Meeting Rooms available throughout K17. Visit this page for more info.

All staff in the Computer Sciences Building (K17) have 24/7 access to their home workspace.

Stationery & Branding (Staff only)

If you require general stationery supplies such as pens and paper, please contact our Procurement and Assets Officer, Philip O'Donnell on 9385 5138 or via email. Philip is located in room G08 K17.

Please ensure that you always use the latest branding templates which are downloadable from MyUNSW.  Login via myUNSW using your zID and password. There is a yellow ‘Branding Requirements’ button after the log-in page. 


myUNSW is the gateway to the services and information you need as UNSW staff or student. 

myUNSW provides you with access to:

  • Review and update personal & emergency contact details
  • View and print pay advices
  • View leave balances for recreation, sick and long service leave
  • Forecast leave balances to a future date
  • Review leave history
  • Apply for Leave
  • Approve leave (if you are a supervisor)
  • Update EEO statistical and qualifications information;
  • Access to resources for employees involved in student academic administration;
  • Access to My News & Events ad My Announcements, on-line bulletins regarding employment and student administration matters at UNSW
  • To log in to myUNSW (my.unsw.edu.au) you require your zID and password.

Important Dates

Key Contacts