I am a Senior Lecturer in Bioinformatics and Program Director (Bioinformatics) with the School of Computer Science and Engineering.
My main research interest is in the engineering of computer methods and software to better understand the immune system and especially the basis for the "memory" of the immune system and vaccines.
This includes software for analysing immunoglobulins, both at the genetic level and at the protein level.
I am especially interested in the design of algorithms for analysing large datasets of rearranged immunoglobulin genes for the purpose of understanding genetic variation in these genes, diversity generation events, and binding specificity.
I am also more widely interested in applications of computational methods to molecular biology, especially to gene expression, and, in collaboration with Professor Sri Parameswaran, the development of specialised hardware for bioinformatics analysis.
- BINF2010 Introduction to Bioinformatics
- BINF3010/9010 Bioinformatics Methods and Applications
- BINF3020/9020 Computational Bioinformatics
- BINF3111 Bioinformatics Engineering Design Project A
- BINF4111 Bioinformatics Engineering Design Project B
- COMP4920 Management and Ethics
One PhD and one MSc students are currently in my lab. I have previously graduated 4 PhD students and one MSc student.
Available student projects include the computational analysis and prediction of immune receptor interactions, the development of computational methods to study antibody diversity, and the computational study of the evolution of transcription factor binding sites.
Professional Organisations and Consulting Positions
- Treasurer, Director and Chair of the Affiliates Committee - International Society for Computational Biology (ISCB)
- Executive Committee and VP Education - Asia-Pacific Bioinformatics Network (APBioNet)
- Member - Global Organisation for Bioinformatics Learning, Education and Training (GOBLET)
Past Appointments and Contributions
- 2006: Conference chair, Bioinformatics Australia conference (Sydney)
- 2005-2010: Management committee, Bioinformatics Australia
- 2002: Advisory Board, Thailand National Bioinformatics Helpdesk
- 2001-2002: Adjunct Lecturer, School of Molecular and Microbial Biosciences, University of Sydney
- 1999-2001: Adjunct Lecturer, School of Microbiology, University of Sydney
- 1999-2001: Director of Education and Senior Scientist, eBioinformatics Pty Ltd (re-named Entigen Inc)
- 2000: Adviser/consultant for the Biotechnology program of the Thailand-Australia Science and Engineering Assistance Project
- 1993-1998: Liaison Officer and Education Officer, Australian Genomic Information Centre, University of Sydney.
- 1991-1993: Post-Doctoral Research Officer, Heart Research Institute, Camperdown, NSW
Program Committee member for conferences and workshops including Pattern Recognition in Bioinformatics, International Conference on Bioinformatics (InCoB), GIW, Computational Models for Life Sciences, and International Conference on Intelligent Sensing and Information Processing, International Conference on Artificial Immune Systems
Manuscript reviewer for PLoS Computational Biology, Bioinformatics, Briefings in Bioinformatics, BMC Bioinformatics, Journal of Theoretical Biology and Comparative and Functional Genomics
BSc (Hons) (Biochemistry) and University Medal, UNSW (1986), PhD, UNSW (1992)