Associate Professor Iain MacGill
Associate Professor in Energy Systems
Telephone: +61 2 9385 4920
Fascimile: +61 2 9385 5993
Room: 316, TETB Building
- B.E. (electrical engineering), University of Melbourne, 1987
- M.Eng.Sc. (biomedical engineering), University of Melbourne, 1990
- Ph.D. in electrical engineering, University of NSW, 1998
Membership of Professional Societies
- Australian New Zealand Solar Energy Society, Member
- University of NSW, Associate Professor 2011 - Present
- University of NSW, Senior lecturer 2001 - 2011
- Independent consultant in the renewable energy sector, 2000-2001
- Greenpeace US, Senior energy policy analyst, 1998-2000
- University of NSW, Project researcher, 1993-1994, 1996-1997 (part time)
- JKTech - a commercial arm of the University of Queensland, Engineering
consultant for the mining industry, 1991-1993
- Renewable energy applications
- Electrical Power Systems operation
- Renewable energy - Integration of renewable energy sources into the
electricity supply system – technology and wider institutional and policy
- Renewable Energy Industry development - Technology, market, financial and
institutional drivers of this industry’s development, policy options to
maximise and direct its growth.
- Power system operation - Theoretical and computational approaches for
coordinating the operation of emerging power systems with independent
participants and distributed resources.
- Energy industry restructuring - Electricity market structures and pricing
for investment and operation. Cooperative, competitive and strategic
participant behaviour, market frameworks at the distribution system level,
competition and distributed resources.
- Distributed, renewable and demand-side resources - Operational
characterisation and modelling of renewables, novel small-scale generation,
distributed energy storage and demand-side options.
- Renewables applications - Large-scale wind power developments, Building
integrated PV, RAPS systems. Renewable options for the developing world
- Distributed Artificial Intelligence - Evolutionary computation, intelligent
agent approaches for complex, uncertain, problem domains.
Professional Interests and Industrial Consulting
- Consultant to governments, NGOs and the renewable energy industry on
innovation, sustainable energy transition scenarios and socio-economic
modelling of renewable energy.