Student resources

Academic Advice

If you have any concerns, need help with a problem, or want to check your progress for your degree, visit the Engineering Student Support Services!

They can help you with such things as resolving a timetable clash, stream progress, overloading, formal academic advising and much more! If you are struggling with your studies, please come in and talk to them about formal academic advising to get you back on track.

They are also happy to talk about and direct you to services that can help you, such as health services, disability services, and mental health assistance.  

Submit your enquiry online or visit the Engineering Student Support Services if you need further assistance.

Organising your timetable

For organising your timetable, please refer to the following instructions:

If you need formal timetabling advice, submit your enquiry online or visit Engineering Student Support Services in the Nucleus Hub.


As a part of your degree, you are required to take electives in addition to your core courses. Electives are an opportunity to take a course in a subject you find interesting, expand your skillset, delve further into an area of your core stream that interests you, and/or study an area peripheral to your stream to broaden your knowledge. Please refer to your program charts to see which courses are applicable to you.

For undergraduates:

First year electives

General Education

Disciplinary Electives - for students who matriculated before T1 2021 only 

For postgraduates:

Electives from other Faculties - for students who matriculated before T1 2021 only

Engineering and Technical Management  (ETM)

Advanced Standing 

During your first semester/ term, you have the option to either apply for advanced standing OR reject advanced standing credits you have received. 
Submit your enquiry online or visit the Engineering Student Support Services if you need further assistance.


You must be available for all tests and examinations. Final examinations for each course are held during the University examinations periods. Provisional examination timetables show the exam dates and times; final examination timetables show the exam dates, times, and locations. For more information and for the official provisional and final examination timetable release dates, please visit the Exams website.

Approved Calculators

Where a calculator is required for an examination, you will need to provide your own that is a make and model approved by UNSW. Please take a moment to check if your calculator make and model is on the list of Exam Approved Calculators and Computers. It is your responsibility to ensure the calculator is of an approved make and model and to obtain an "Approved" sticker for it from the Student Services Office prior to the examination. Calculators not bearing an official "Approved" sticker will not be allowed into the examination room. 

Computers and IT Assistance 

Logging IT Issues

The first point of contact for any IT related enquiries is the UNSW IT Service Centre.

The UNSW IT Service Centre can be contacted by

Telephone: (02) 9385 1333 
Walk-up counter: Near Post Office at Kensington campus

A map and further details are at


Creating a zPass is a simple task you complete yourself. At times, you will also need to update your zPass (you will get a message saying that it is expiring). Detailed instructions can be found at the following link:

Creating a zPass

MME Computer Labs


The School’s computing facilities are provided to you for work associated with your course and are not to be used for other purposes. You are responsible for ensuring that your use of the University’s computers is ethical, lawful and considerate​. 

MME has two Computer Labs available for the use of its students. The School computer labs are located in rooms 203 and 204 of the Ainsworth Building (J17). The rooms are Cardax controlled, and you will have access via your staff/student card.  

Access Hours During Session:

  • Monday - Friday: 8:00am - 11:59pm
  • Saturday - Sunday: 8:00am - 7:00pm
  • No access otherwise

Please note: Classes are sometimes scheduled for these rooms. The class timetables for the School computer labs are displayed via the TV screens at the entrances of the Computer labs. 

For more information, please visit the MME Computer Labs page.