Professor Gangadhara Prusty
Ainsworth Building (J17) Level 2, Room 208F Kensington Campus
- Engineering Mechanics
- Mechanics of Solids
- Composites: Materials, Mechanics and Manufacturing
He combines traditional teaching with new technologies in novel ways, so that 21st century net-gen students in large classes can actively engage in learning. Students who struggle with threshold concepts in engineering require deeper engagement and more explanation than traditional ‘book and board’ methods provide; hence they fail to progress in engineering study. Recognising the need for more detailed and customised feedback on learning, he has used his teaching experience to set up Adaptive Tutorials (ATs)– Web based interactive simulation activities in which the students’ pathways through the tutorial are automatically guided and tracked. He has pioneered the establishment of Adaptive Mechanics Network (www.adaptivemechanics.edu.au) and offered World's first Adaptive MOOC (Massive Open Online Course) using FutureLearn platform on "Through Engineers' Eyes-Engineering Mechanics by Experiment, Analysis and Design".
- Fellow, Royal Institute of Naval Architects (RINA)
- Member, Engineers Australia
- Member, Australian Association of Engineering Education (AaeE)
AWARDS AND SCHOLARSHIPS
- 2016- Best paper award, Australasian Association for Engineering Education (AAEE 2016)
- 2012- Australian Awards for University Teaching- Award for Teaching Excellence
- 2012- Australian Council of Engineering Dean's National Award for Engineering Education Excellence
- 2012- UNSW Faculty of Engineering Dean's Award for Teaching Excellence
- 2010- UNSW Vice-Chancellor Award for Teaching Excellence
- 2010- Lecturer of the Year, MECHSOC, UNSW
- 2010- ALTC Citation Award for Outstanding Contributions to Student Learning: “For innovative teaching and assessment of mechanics courses in engineering, which encourage and motivate students to learn threshold concepts effectively”.
- 2004- Australian Maritime College (AMC@UTAS) Council Award for High Achievement in Scholarship (Research).
- Co-host, 9th Australasian Congress on Applied Mechanics (ACAM9), 27-29th Nov 2017.
- Member of Experts, Tertiary Education Quality and Standards Agency (TEQSA), Australian Government.
- Research Leader, Advanced Structures and Materials research group of MECHENG
- Organising and Technical Committee member for International Maritime Conference (IMC), Australasian Congress of Applied Mechanics (ACAM) & Sixth International Composites Conference (ACUN6)