What mechanical engineers do
Mechanical Engineers work in more fields than you can imagine. If it’s a machine, you can be sure that a mechanical engineer has had something to do with designing it, constructing a prototype, testing it, perfecting it and rolling it out on the production line. Some mechanical engineers may even be involved in marketing or selling it!
A mechanical engineer might work in the automotive industry, aerospace and transport industries, power generation, refineries, insurance industries, building services, railway systems design, consumer goods design and production and management consultancies. The list goes on.
Mechanical Engineering careers
Here’s a list of some of the industries a mechanical engineer might work in and the things they might be required to do:
- Design vehicles, ranging from space craft to high performance racing cars
- Analyse the acoustics data for planning a building
- Design a ventilation and air conditioning system for a large building
- Design the air filtration unit for a train
- Design a suitable power system
- Design and develop next generation machines for aiding the disabled
- Develop new concepts for underground mining machinery and transport
- Use fluid structure interaction models to design rotating blades using advanced materials
- Design and manufacture industrial robots for a range of applications