Tyree Energy and Technology Building (H6)
Level 2, Room 214
I am a geophysicist with an interest in basin formation processes in both active and passive margins. I have 10 years experience working with oil industry clients delivering R&D products; I also supervise PhD and researcher projects.
Future PhD and Masters Research Students
I am keen to recruit students in any of the following areas:
- Geology (Sedimentary and Structural)
- Earth Science
- Machine Learning
- Numerical Modelling
- High Performance Computing
- Plate Tectonics
For admission, please have a look at the Submit an Application Page on the UNSW web-page using the Program Code 1017 Petroleum Engineering (PhD) or 2645 MPhil Engineering. I am also happy to jointly supervisor students in the Science Faculty doing PhD or MPhil degrees.
I am the Year 3 & 4 Coordinator, Teaching and Learning Committee, Minerals and Energy Resources Engineering.
Current Research Students
- Patrick Makaluni - UNSW Sydney - Automated Restoration of the Northwest Shelf, Australia (Co-supervisor Dr. Ryan Armstrong, UNSW)
- Mohammed Almedallah - UNSW Sydney - Optimisation of Drilling Paths and Oil Rig Placement (Co-supervisor Dr. Stuart Walsh, Monash University)
- Suleiman Altaheini - UNSW Sydney - Studying 3D models of reservoir geology built from numerical models of rift and passive margin development (Co-Supervisor Prof. Sheikh Rahman, UNSW)
- Aina Bugge - University of Oslo - Filtering techniques and numerical solutions related to image enhancement and automated geological interpretation of seismic data (Joint supervision with Prof. Jan Inge Faleide, UiO, Dr. Jan Erik Lie, Lundin Norway).
- Rui Pires - University of Coimbra - Numerical Response of the Topographic Response of Subduction Initiation (Joint supervision with Prof. Rui Pena dos Reis, Coimbra).
Director of Research, Kalkulo AS, Norway (2014-2017)
Head of Department, Computational Geoscience, Simula Research Laboratory, Norway (2011-2014)
Postdoctoral Fellow, Scientific Computing, Simula Research Laboratory, Norway (2007-2011)
PhD, Earthbyte Group, University of Sydney, Australia (2007)