How to solve a WHS issue in the School of Mining Engineering

Managers and employees must use the established H&S consultation arrangements when attempting to resolve H&S problems. The steps to resolution of H&S problems are outlined below:

Step 1: Problem reported to supervisor or manager by an employee.

Step 2: If not resolved, the employee reports the problem to their H&S Representative or Chair of the Mining Engineering L3 H&S Committee, Mark Whelan ( who will have discussions with the relevant supervisor/manager.

Step 3: If not resolved, the H&S Representative or Chairperson of the Level 3 OH&S Committee will refer the issue to either their Level 2 H&S Committee, or to the Level 1 H&S Committee if the issue has university–wide implications.

Step 4: If not resolved, the H&S Representative or Chairperson of the Level 3 H&S Committee can invite a WorkCover NSW inspector to attend the workplace to assist in the resolution of the issue.

Advice on H&S problem resolution should be sought from the relevant Faculty or Divisional H&S Coordinator. Managers and employees must work cooperatively to resolve H&S problems, and should notify the Faculty of Engineering H&S Coordinator, Blathnaid Farrell ( prior to requesting assistance from WorkCover NSW.

For further details please consult the UNSW OHS337 Consultation Procedure.

Take a closer look at more  Workplace Health and Safety information.