Reporting hazards and incidents
There are a number of situations and circumstances that can result in hazards or incidents in the modern workplace. Hazards and incidents are defined by the following (Work Health and Safety Act 2011 & Work Health and Safety Regulation 2011).
A Hazard is a source of potential harm or a situation with the potential to cause harm to people, property or the environment while an incident is any unplanned event that occurs in the course of work, which could result in:
- occupational illnesses
- uncontrolled fire and explosion
- physical injuries
- equipment, plant or property damage
- dangerous occurrences which could have but did not injure any person
- exposure to hazardous substances or circumstances
- minor injuries
- any other incident that could put employees or plant at risk
A serious incident is an incident that has resulted in a person being killed, or any other incident prescribed by the OHS regulations for the purposes of this definition.
To report a hazard or incident
All hazards and incidents in Mining must be reported online through the myUNSW online reporting system and alert your supervisor immediately. For further assistance, contact the MINE H&S Chair Maree Magafas
Here are the steps to follow when reporting an incident online:
- Go to myUNSW
- Login with your staff/student ID and Zpass
- Click “my staff” or “my student” profile tab
- Scroll down to the Report/Manage OHS&E Issues
- Follow the prompts and select the best definition for what you would like to report:
- OH&S Hazard - Anything that needs to be fixed before it results in an incident; e.g. building damage, spills, faulty equipment, etc.
- OH&S Incident/Injury - Anything that happens that results in an injury or a 'near miss'
- Environment - Any issue where the environment may be affected/has the potential to be affected (chemical/biological spills, etc.)
- Workplace Inspection - Anything to do with issues identified from local workplace inspections
- Fist Aid - Any situation where first aid was needed to be administered (this also requires an incident report where necessary)
- Security - Any situation, such as theft, harassment, danger to personal safety, etc.
For further information on filling out the myUNSW online system, please refer to the following guide HS713 Guide to reporting hazards and incidents online.
Find out more about Workplace Health and Safety information.