Faculty-supported Postdoctoral Research Fellowships 2019
The Faculty of Engineering will award up to ten Faculty-supported Postdoctoral Research Fellowships in 2019. These will be three-year, research intensive positions. A detailed position description can be viewed on the job advertisement page.
The aim of the Faculty-supported Postdoctoral Research Fellow scheme is to develop new research directions and collaborations and add new research capacity to UNSW. Successful fellows will carry out original research related to their field(s) of research specialisation in accordance with Faculty of Engineering research goals and approaches, and procure funding appropriate to implementation and expansion of research activity at a level appropriate to the position of a Research Associate (Level A) or Senior Research Associate (Level B).
Applications are currently open. To apply for the role, please click HERE.
Applications close: 13 Nov 2018 at 11PM AUS Eastern Daylight Time
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Where can I get more information about the research focus or research priorities of the Schools and the Faculty?
You can find out more about the Faculty’s research areas and locate current academic staff contact details using the links below. Due to the volume of applications, the breadth of discipline areas in the Faculty, and to ensure a fair process, we cannot pre-review candidate CVs. If you wish to apply, please do so using the online application form.
- Faculty of Engineering – Research Priorities
- School-specific research areas/priorities:
- School of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering
- School of Computer Science and Engineering
- School of Chemical Engineering
- School of Civil and Environmental Engineering
- School of Electrical Engineering and Telecommunications
- School of Minerals and Energy Resources Engineering
- Graduate School of Biomedical Engineering
- School of Photovoltaic and Renewable Energy Engineering
- Research centres, institutes and initiatives
- You may also search for researchers or research areas using “UNSW Find a Researcher”
2. What If I cannot find my area of specialization within the listed priorities?
Applicants are welcome to get in touch with UNSW academics working in research areas that are closest related to the applicants’ area of specialization. Contact details can be found on relevant school websites listed under question 1.
3. Can the Faculty review my CV / track record and advise if these positions are suitable for me?
Due to the volume of applications, the breadth of discipline areas in the Faculty, we cannot pre-review candidate CVs. If you wish to apply, please do so using the online application form.
4. How do I apply?
A call for applications will open on 15 October and close on 13 November at 11pm. The information required for application is available on the job ad page. All applications must be made using the UNSW online application system linked from the job ad page. Applications that are not submitted online, are incomplete, or do not follow the instructions provided on the form will not be considered.
5. What are the eligibility criteria?
As a minimum requirement, Candidates must hold a doctoral qualification at the time of application. The qualification must have been conferred prior to the closing date for applications.
6. What is the duration of the appointment?
3-year fixed term contract
7. Are these positions related to UNSW Scientia Fellowships?
These positions are sponsored by the Faculty of Engineering and are distinct from UNSW Scientia Fellowships. Read more about UNSW Scientia Fellowships here.
8. Can I apply for this scheme if I have applied for a UNSW Scientia Fellowship?
Yes, you may apply for this scheme if you have applied for the Scientia Fellowships scheme.
9. Do I need to contact a mentor at UNSW prior to the application?
Contacting a mentor is not mandatory prior to the application. However, applicants are welcome to get in touch with UNSW academics working in their field of research interest if they wish. Contact details can be found on relevant school websites: https://www.engineering.unsw.edu.au/research/research-priorities
10. Do these fellowships come with support funding?
Fellows will receive a package of $10,000 per year for three years, which can be used, for example, to purchase laptops, software, minor equipment needs, travel, etc.
11. When will I be notified about the outcome of my application?
Once the appointments have been confirmed, the University will notify all applicants in writing of the outcome of their application. Unsuccessful applicants can expect to be notified by January 2019 at the latest.
12. What would be my level of appointment if I’m successful?
Appointments will be made either at Research Associate (Level A) or Senior Research Associate (Level B). If you are successful, the level of appointment will be decided by the Faculty based on our assessment of your research experience/strength.
13. When can I start?
Start dates will be negotiated directly with Schools, with all appointments commencing after January 1, 2019.
14. What if I have further questions?
For any further queries, please email email@example.com