Applications and Admission
How do I apply for a degree at UNSW?

All domestic applications are made through Universities Admissions Centre (UAC).

For international students in Australia, applications must be made through UAC’s international portal.

For international students outside Australia, applications must be made directly through UNSW.

I have a dual citizenship, do I apply as a domestic or international student?

If you are an Australian or New Zealand citizen, or a permanent resident of Australia, you are considered “domestic” and must apply through UAC.

How should I order my preference?

It’s completely your decision how your preferences are ordered. It’s your application for admission and you must decide what you would like to study However, remember you must list nine preference and you’re can change them multiple times, until the January 2019 deadline. This is so you can revise your order preferences once you know your ATAR.

Do UNSW have prerequisites?

No, UNSW only has “assumed knowledge”. If students have not completed the assumed subjects, it doesn’t prevent students from applying for a degree as long as students meet the year’s cut off requirements.

What is guaranteed entry?

Guaranteed entry allows us to tell you exactly what selection rank (ATAR + Bonus Points) will give you admission to UNSW Engineering. With the introduction of Guaranteed Entry, UNSW provides clarity by publishing the Guaranteed Selection Rank that assures your entry to UNSW in a particular degree. The main thing to remember is that even if you have met the Guaranteed Selection Rank for your degree of choice, we can only guarantee you a place in the degree if you have the degree listed as your highest eligible preference.

Am I eligible for Guaranteed Entry?

All Australian Citizens and Permanent Residents with a high school qualification, that has been completed within the last 5 years, are eligible for Guaranteed Entry as long as you have not completed any study since finishing high school (this includes university preparation programs, TAFE, private provider diplomas or university level study).

How will I know if I have Guaranteed Entry?

Once ATARs are released in December, you will receive an SMS or email from UNSW with a link to your personalised website. On this website you will see your preference(s) to UNSW and whether or not you have Guaranteed Entry to any of those degrees. (Note: Interstate and IB students won't receive their email until UAC has received their results). 

What bonus points are available at UNSW?
  1. HSC PLUS is designed to reward strong performance in HSC subjects relevant to your degree of choice.
  2. Elite Athletes and Performers Bonus Points Program (EAP) awards up to five bonus points to high school leavers who have excelled in areas of support, academia, leadership and/or music.
  3. ACCESS/EAS is for students who have experienced long-term socio-economic or educational disadvantage.
Should I apply for a Scholarship?

YES - If you meet the selection criteria, apply! Remember you can apply for as many scholarships as you are eligible.

I’m worried I won’t have the ATAR to get into UNSW Engineering. What are my options?

One option is to apply for the Faculty of Engineering Admission Scheme (FEAS) – if you think your ATAR will be between 82.00 and 91.95 you will be considered for a FEAS enrolment.

How does the workload for a single engineering degree compare to the workload for a dual degree?

The workload for a Dual Degree is generally similar to a single degree. You don’t actually study more subjects at the same time, but rather spend more years at university.

How do I accept my offer and enrol?

Congratulations on gaining admission to the Faculty of Engineering! We welcome you to your new program and look forward to helping you achieve your goals.

New students must accept their offer before enrolling. Please visit the Getting Started website to accept (or defer) your offer and commence the enrolment process. More information on Getting Started at UNSW is available here.

Changing Programs
I would like to change programs, what should I do?

If you are an undergraduate student currently studying at UNSW then you may apply for a program transfer via the two following methods:

For more information on the difference between IPT via myUNSW and UAC, see the Faculty of Engineering website.

For more information on the IPT Application Period and the IPT Acceptance Period you should check the UNSW Key Dates.

Can I already enrol into courses for the program I wish to transfer to?

You may enrol in any course as long as the requisites are observed, however you should review your enrolment after the IPT Acceptance Period and before the start of term to ensure the courses you selected will count towards the program you are enrolled in.

How do I drop the other part of my dual degree if I only want to study a single degree?

You should submit an Internal Program Transfer (IPT) via myUNSW and apply for a transfer to the single degree.

For more information on the IPT Application Period and the IPT Acceptance Period you should check the UNSW Key Dates.

I want to drop my courses and take program leave or discontinue my program, what should I do?

myUNSW doesn’t permit dropping all courses, to drop all courses you will need to apply for either:

Enrolment Enquiries
I am having difficulties enrolling into courses, what should I do?

We recommend you check the online checklist if you are experiencing difficulties. This checklist helps you get organised to re-enrol in an undergraduate or postgraduate course, when you have already begun studying in a UNSW program and about to continue your studies from one term to the next.

To make the enrolment process easier, think about everything ahead of time, from computer access and passwords to your choice of courses and classes. More information on enrolment can be found here.

If you are a new student and you are enrolling for the first time, please use the Getting Started services for further help.

I would like advice on my course selection, what should I do?

Selecting your courses for the coming term can be challenging. A good starting point is to consult the program structure outlined on the website for undergraduate or postgraduate programs. Once you know the core courses and/or electives you want to enrol in, you can consult the UNSW Handbook for course descriptions, and the UNSW Timetable to determine availability and class times.

Students should also check the Engineering Enrolment Advice page.

How do I find out if a course is cancelled?

If a course is cancelled, it will be reflected on the Class Timetable and enrolled students will be advised about the cancellations via a system message.  If a course is not cancelled on the Class Timetable then we anticipate that the course is running, however, the deadline to cancel a course is not until 1 week before term commences. 

However, it is rare that a course would be cancelled that close to the start of term.

Does Engineering offer any courses during summer/ winter?

Please check the UNSW Class Timetable website for further information on course offerings.

I want to drop a course I am currently enrolled in, can I still do this?

The census date for a teaching period is the last day to drop a course without having to pay the tuition fee or HECS/FEE-HELP contribution. If you drop a course on or before the relevant census date:

  • You will not be financially liable for the course.
  • The course will not appear on your transcript.
  • The course will not be included in the calculation of your Weighted Average Mark (WAM).
  • The course will not be included in the calculation of your academic standing.

Please see this link for instructions on how to drop your course.

It is still possible to drop courses after the census date has passed. However, you should refer to the Late Enrolment Changes website for information on what outcome you can expect before making any decisions.

I have failed a requisite; can I still do the higher-level course next term?

Unfortunately, if you have failed a course that is a pre-requisite to your enrolment next term, there is a high chance you will be removed from your enrolment in those courses.
We encourage you to adjust your enrolment when your results have been released and, if you have failed a core course, enrol into this course again.
For example, if you have failed MATH1131 and have already enrolled in MATH1231, you will be removed from these courses. If MATH1131 is core to your program, we recommend that you enrol in this course again.

How do I swap courses/ laboratory/ tutorial times in myUNSW?

If the course, tutorial or LAB class you are trying to swap to is full, you will not be able to swap using myUNSW. The Student Office cannot manually swap you into a class that is full due to Health and Safety regulations.

To swap into an available course or change tutorial or LAB classes for an enrolled course, you can follow the step-by-step instructions available on the following Enrolment web page.

There is no course convenor allocated to the course I am (or wish to) enrolled in, what should I do?

The allocation will be published as soon as they are known.

The class is full, can you over-enrol me or place me on the waiting list?

We cannot over-enrol you and there are no waiting lists.

If the course is full and it will delay your graduation or progression if you do not enrol in this course, then you may contact your program authority to enquire if additional spaces can be created.

Overall, please check myUNSW regularly in the event someone drops a course. Note that the UNSW Class Timetable has a 24-hour delay however myUNSW displays the most up-to-date information. There are generally a lot of enrolment movement around Week 1 of term.

I have enrolled in the web lecture of a course and I cannot see this on my Class Timetable?

If you have enrolled in the web lecture then this will not be listed in your Class Timetable as there will be no room allocated to this lecture. If you scroll down the bottom of the Class Schedule Summary you will see the lecture listed as 'WEB' and under Day/Time you will see 'TBA'. You are required to listen to the lecture recordings in your own time.

I have a timetable clash, what should I do?

For all timetable clashes please ensure you meet the requirements listed on the Faculty Enrolment Rules website.

Provided you meet all of the requirements you may submit a timetable clash request to your program authority.

I would like to have a requisite waived, what should I do?

You may submit a requisite waiver request to your program authority, when you meet the requirements listed on the Faculty Enrolment Rules website.

I would like to have a course substituted, what should I do?

You may submit a course substitution request to your program authority, when you meet the requirements listed on the Faculty Enrolment Rules website.

I would like to overload, what should I do?

For all overloading requests, please ensure you meet the requirements listed on the Faculty Enrolment Rules website.

Provided you meet all of the requirements you may submit an overloading request to your program authority.

How do I check which course I have left remaining for completion?

Progression checksheets are now available to download. You can download your progression checksheet here and complete it by filling in all previously passed courses.

If your progression checksheet is not listed than you can check which courses you have left remaining for completion by checking your program requirements in the handbook of the year you started or the program which are found on our website.

If you have any questions, please contact your program authority.

I cannot enrol in myUNSW due to an error message, what should I do?

There can be multiple reasons why you received an error message, a list of enrolment error messages and resolutions that you might encounter in myUNSW can be found here.

If you need help resolving a particular error, check the FAQs or contact your program authority.

What does pending mean on my timetable?

Pending is an error message which means you have not been enrolled. Please check the pending status, which will advise what the problem is.

For more information on how to remove pending classes can be found here.

According to the Class Timetable there are spots available for the course/ LAB/ TUT, however I cannot enrol in this on myUNSW?

Note that the Class Timetable has a 24 hour delay and the information that you see may be outdated. myUNSW displays the up-to-date information, if there is no spot available according to myUNSW than this course/ LAB/ TUT is full.

Can I still change/ swap my courses after enrolments have closed?

The enrolment deadline is the last day to add a course online using myUNSW.Your enrolment is your responsibility. You must be correctly enrolled by the enrolment deadline each term.

Adding courses after enrolments have closed is not normally permitted as it is required that students attend no less than 80% of classes.The deadline for adding courses is the end of the first week of the teaching period in which the course is offered. If you don't add your courses by this deadline, you may be charged a late enrolment fee. It is important that you familiarise yourself with the Late Enrolment Changes policy and also the enrolment deadlines, which can be found on the Key Dates website.

Please contact your program authority for further details about adding a course after the enrolment deadline. 

General FAQs
I have contacted the course convenor and they haven’t responded yet, what should I do?

You should give the course convenor five (5) working days to respond to your email. If the course convenor has not replied after these days then you may send them a reminder email. If you do not receive a reply within five working days after the reminder email then you may contact your program authority and we will try to contact the course convenor on your behalf.

What is an Academic Transcript and how do I request one?

An Academic Transcript is a certified record of your full enrolment history at UNSW, including all courses attempted, results received and awards conferred. It cannot be altered or separated, e.g. between undergraduate and postgraduate degrees.

You are presented with one copy of your academic transcript per award at your graduation ceremony, along with your testamur (degree certificate).

Currently enrolled students will not necessarily need an official academic transcript - your academic record and results are available for viewing at any time on myUNSW( > My Student Profile > Academic History > View Results/ Academic Statement).

Further information about Academic Transcripts can be found on the UNSW Website.

What is an Award Statement and how do I request one?

An Award Statement is an official document confirming graduation details.

This is sometimes referred to as a completion letter. An Award Statement verifies that a student has completed their program and is eligible to graduate. It lists the date of completion, the date that the award is conferred and the date of the ceremony.

Current students please note: An Award Statement can only be issued once your graduation status is 'Awarded'. Please check your graduation details on myUNSW prior to submitting your request. If your status is not Awarded you can request an Enrolment Statement only.

You can request an Award Statement by logging into myUNSW > My Student Profile tab > My Student Services channel > Online Services > Statements.

More information on the Award and Enrolment Statements (Completion letter) may be found on the Student Forms website.

What is an Enrolment Statement and how do I request one?

The Enrolment Statement verifies a student's enrolment for each term they have been enrolled at UNSW since 1990. Details include:

  • term start dates
  • Enrolled program
  • Normal program duration 
  • Study load in each term

You can request an Enrolment Statement by logging into myUNSW > My Student Profile tab > My Student Services channel > Online Services > Statements.

More information, including how to request an Enrolment Statement, may be found on the Student Forms website.

I have an exam clash, what should I do?

An examination clash occurs when you have two exams scheduled for the same time. You do not need to contact the Examinations Team to notify of a clash.

If your clash cannot be resolved, you will be sent an email approximately 2 weeks prior to the commencement of examinations informing you of the arrangements for your clash examinations.

If your examination timetable produces a clash, then we will reschedule one of your examinations for the morning or afternoon of the same day. Please be aware that you will need to bring your lunch and any study materials with you, as you will be required to remain under supervision in the clash examination rooms throughout the whole day. You will not be permitted to use mobile phones during this time.

If you have a clash but have not received an email one week prior to your clash examinations, then please contact exams@unsw.edu.au.

Which calculators are UNSW approved calculators?

If your examination timetable states that you require a UNSW approved calculator, you must obtain an approval sticker from the Faculty Engineering Student Centre or School Student Centres (see program authority for contact details).

Where can I get my calculator approved for exams?

The use of approved electronic calculators or hand-held computers may be permitted in exams, when indicated on the exam timetable. They must be hand-held, internally powered and silent.

Labels are available from the Faculty Engineering Student Centre or School Student Centres (see program authority for contact details). If your calculator does not have an approval label it will be confiscated for the duration of the exam.

A list of approved calculators can be found here.

Student Records
How do I apply for a review of results?

To apply for a review of results for any assessments, please submit a Review of Results Application. You should first consult with your course convenor in case the result can be resolved internally.

You must submit your application no later than 5 working days after the return of the piece of work or, in the case of an exam, 5 working days from the date of release of results.
Please read the form carefully and note that a review of results may lead to a mark going up or down.
Further information can be found here.

I have received a WD/WC/WJ/… result, what should I do?

If you have received a WD grade, this means that your result has not been finalised. As we are not aware of the reasons you have received this grade, we would recommend that you contact the course convenor of that course no more than 5 days after the release of results, as it might be necessary to organise further assessment.

Please see the Student Results page for further information on any other grades you may have received but are not sure of the meaning of.

My academic standing is referral/ probation, what should I do?

If your academic standing is other than GOOD, you are encouraged to consult with an Academic Advisor.

You are required to:

  1. Arrange an appointment with your Academic Advisor;
  2. Fill out the Academic Standing Interview form.
3+ New Academic Calendar 2019
When will I know what my 2019 will look like?

For students who will still be studying in 2019, course information can be found at www.student3plus.unsw.edu.au.

How many courses can I take per term?

Students can take up to three courses per term. Students wishing to complete more than three courses in a term must apply to their program authority to overload. Standard overloading rules apply. 

What study load will give me full-time status?

In 2019, the normal study load will be 8 courses spread over three terms, with an option of completing 9 courses (three per term).

Domestic students wishing to be considered full-time need to enrol in a minimum of 12 Units of Credit (UoC) each term, or 36 UoC across three standard terms with at least one course enrolment in each term. The three terms must be standard terms (not summer), and one course enrolment must be at least one UoC. A number of course combinations will enable you to remain eligible to retain full-time status for the duration of the year or only in certain terms if you need more time for internships, volunteering or other extra-curricular activities. Further information and a full time status tool an be found here.

How is enrolment changing?

From October 2018, UNSW will move to annual enrolment which will allow students to select their courses for the academic year ahead. The selection of class times will open approximately 10 weeks before each term for students to confirm their class selection. It is possible for students to change the details of their course enrolment before the teaching session starts, so students should enrol in a full year of courses even if they aren't sure about their schedule.  

Will UNSW3+ delay my degree completion?

Depending on the number of courses that you need to complete in 2019, degree completion may be delayed by one term. We will be looking at how courses can be delivered (online/intensive/Summer Term) to ensure that the number of students impacted will be kept to a minimum.

Will UNSW3+ delay my graduation ceremony?

No. The UNSW3+ academic calendar will allow for three graduation periods per year reducing the time to graduate. Graduations will be held in:

  • Term 1: 13 weeks from last exam to graduation ceremony
  • Term 2: 13 weeks from last exam to graduation ceremony
  • Term 3: 20 weeks from last exam to graduation ceremony
What is happening with courses?

Academics across UNSW are reallocating the content of their courses into the new 10-week terms. Courses are currently being audited to ensure learning outcomes are achieved within the 10-week teaching term. In parallel with the new calendar a number of innovative on-line courses are being developed through the Inspired Learning Initiative to provide even greater flexibility and personalisation of learning.

How will exams work?

There will be a two-week exam period per term. However, students will be sitting a maximum of three exams, compared to four under the current two term calendar. 

Will my fees increase?

Course fees will not change due to UNSW3+.

Am I still eligible for my benefits?

It will not be more difficult to access Centrelink under the new calendar.

To retain full-time student status for the purposes of Centrelink, Austudy or other government support, students would need to be enrolled in at least six subjects per year, as is the case under the current term calendar. Students would need to enrol in at least one subject in each of the three normal term.

Will my support payments from Centrelink change?

Students will receive exactly the same amount of support from Centrelink as they currently do to support their purchase of resources. Payments will however still be made twice a year so students will be required to budget across the course requirements of the new calendar.

Will I still be able to get an Opal concession?

Students' eligibility for transport concessions will remain the same and be based on their status as a full-time or part-time student. 

When are the breaks?

The length of the summer holiday for students will be 9 weeks.  Mid-year breaks will be two blocks of two weeks at the end of each term. 

When will summer 2018-2019 term course information be available?

Course offerings for summer 2018-2019 will be released mid-August and can be found at student.unsw.edu.au/summer.

Are my internship opportunities affected because of the shorter Summer?

Students who choose to take up to nine courses per year will create space in their degree to use a term for an internship without delaying graduation. Students would complete a preparatory course, short intensive course or online course during this term and hence be able to retain their student benefits.

Students taking an internship during Term 1, Term 2 or Term 3 will face less competition for internship places against other Australian university students who don’t have the flexibility to take an internship outside of summer.

Part of our two year rollout is to talk with employers about having internships at other times of the year, i.e. not over Christmas when Australian based business are very quiet for a month. Initial discussions have been very positive.

Will the new calendar negatively affect those students who have a disability or mental health issues?

The new calendar will enable many areas within the university to better adapt to the needs of disadvantaged groups.

The success of UNSW depends on the health and wellbeing of our students and staff. As such we will continue to actively support a healthy work-life balance, and are committed to the ongoing promotion of good health and wellbeing of the University community.

Am I going to feel more stressed under the new calendar?

Courses will be adjusted to fit 10 teaching-week terms, with a similar number of contact hours for each course over the term as there is currently. However, with a maximum of three courses to study each term instead of four, students will have more time to devote to each course, improving the depth of understanding and learning.

The new calendar will give students the flexibility to spread their study load over more of the year and the opportunity to achieve a better study/life balance.

What do you need to do?

If you have any questions about UNSW3+ or the next steps you need to take please contact us.