Rural Engineering Scholarships

Rural Scholarships Program Guide 2018At UNSW Engineering we offer a number of scholarships specifically to encourage and assist students from rural and isolated areas.

Scholarships on offer

  • UNSW Engineering Rural Scholarships – Programs as listed on page 4 of the brochure
  • Women in Engineering Rural Scholarship – Programs as listed on page 4 of the brochure
  • Luciano Ferracin Memorial Rural Engineering Scholarship – Programs as listed on page 4 of the brochure
  • Mitsubishi Rural Scholarship in Mining Engineering
  • The Ian Burgess and Barbara Burgess Memorial Rural Engineering Scholarship – Programs as listed on page 4 of the brochure
  • The Bernard William Gould Memorial Scholarship in Civil Engineering or Environmental Engineering or Civil Engineering with Architecture
  • Graham Painton Rural Engineering Scholarship in Electrical Engineering and Mechanical and Manufacturing Engineering
  • John Lions Rural Engineering Scholarship-programs in Computer Engineering, Software Engineering, Bioinformatics Engineering and Computer Science

You can get more information by downloading the 2018 Rural Scholarships brochure.

 *Note that the application is through the Co-op Program application system*


  • To be eligible for this scholarship, there are certain conditions you need to meet:
  • You must be an Australian citizen or permanent resident of Australia;
  • Your family home has to be or have been located in a rural or isolated area* for at least four of your high school years;
  • You should have attended secondary school in a rural or isolated area* for at least four years (exemption: rural students in receipt of a scholarship to attend a metropolitan secondary boarding school);
  • You must be completing the New South Wales HSC or equivalent examination this year, or have undertaken a one or two year Gap year (but you may not have commenced tertiary study);
  • You need to have a superior record of involvement and achievement in school activities and community affairs;
  • You should expect to achieve an ATAR (including EAS bonus points or equivalent) of 92 or more in your HSC or equivalent examination;
  • You must be able to meet the minimum ATAR requirements of any UNSW program for which you apply;
  • You must apply to the Universities Admissions Centre (UAC) for admission to programs at UNSW.

How does UNSW decide who gets the scholarships?

You will be assessed on a combination of things.

You’ll attend an interview, we’ll look at your academic merit and assess any personal qualities – such as what you have done outside school that shows your interest in engineering, your leadership skills and your potential to contribute to the wider life of the University. We also look at certain economic circumstances when we consider your application.

What does a Scholarship offer?

A scholarship brings with it all sorts of things. Not only do you receive financial assistance, but by winning a scholarship you have proven to yourself and to others that you are passionate, determined and capable, and will one day make an excellent engineer. It looks great on your resume too!

The Faculty of Engineering Rural Scholarships provides an annual amount which continues for up to four years, as long as you progress in your studies to a satisfactory level. In 2018, the amount is $12,000 per annum.

If you are successful, you are also eligible for one of the on-campus student accommodation places set aside for Rural Engineering Scholarship holders. You need to apply direct to each college by their closing date. 

The colleges listed below all reserve places for Rural Scholarship Holders:

You can apply before you know if you have a scholarship or not, but you should clearly indicate that you are applying for the Engineering Rural Scholarship Program when you do.

* Rural areas will generally be considered according to the Australian Standard Geographical Classification – Remoteness Areas. Please use this website as a guide to checking the geographic classification of your home/school address. To be eligible for the Faculty of Engineering Rural Scholarship Program, you must be classed as RA2 (with the exception of Hobart which will be considered a major city of Australia for our purposes), RA3, RA4 or RA5. Students whose family home is located in RA2 to RA5, but who have received a scholarship to attend a RA1 (or Hobart) boarding school are also eligible to apply.


The application will be available through the Co-op website.

Share this