Applicants can receive bonus points for entry to UNSW through three schemes: HSC plus, Elite Athletes and Performers, and the ACCESS scheme. The details of these schemes are outlined below.
- Students automatically receive bonus points added to their ATAR based on their performance in relevant subjects
- For Engineering, these are Maths (2 unit, Ext 1, Ext 2) and Physics, plus Chemistry for Chemical/Photovoltaics/Renewable Engineering, Food Science & Technology, Industrial Chemistry, plus English Advanced for Engineering/Commerce
- Students receive a maximum of 5 bonus points through HSC plus
- These are added in automatically and UNSW sees the final ATAR plus points when assigning places
- Example: Mark gets an ATAR of 90, and receives a Band 6 in Physics. This gives him 2 bonus points, taking his entry rank for UNSW to 92, sufficient to get into most Engineering programs
- The ACCESS scheme is for students who have been disadvantaged during their school studies
- Access is done through UAC and gives additional points (called EAS points) to applicant’s ATAR based on disadvantage faced through medical issues, family circumstances etc
- UNSW does not release EAS bonus points to applicants. All EAS applicants will be sent a letter regarding their eligibility or not at each institution. If they are eligible they will receive between 1 and 10 EAS bonus points depending on the degree of their disadvantage
- ACCESS bonus points are in addition to HSC Plus points and EAPL points
- The EAPL Program awards up to five bonus points to high school leavers who have excelled in areas of sport, academia, performance, leadership, and/or music at an elite level
- Activities and/or commitments must have been undertaken in years 11 and/or 12
- Students must be either an Australian citizen, New Zealand citizen or hold a current Australian Permanent Resident or Humanitarian visa
- Students must complete an application to be considered. Applications open in August and close in late November each year
How many bonus points can I get?
UNSW offers a maximum of 10 bonus points through all available schemes. It is important to note that ACCESS bonus points are considered to have been included in your ATAR and so do not count towards this maximum.