Opportunities, Support and FAQ’s


Q. What are benefits of Industrial Training?

The main reason engineering students need to do Industrial Training (IT) is so they are well-prepared for a graduate job in their chosen field. It also provides the opportunity to put what you have learned at university to work in real-life situations.

  • First-hand experience working as an engineering professional
  • Apply your technical knowledge and engineering methods to real-life situations
  • Work with other engineering professionals
  • Experience what it’s like to work in a professional organisation. Witness the functioning and organisation of business and companies
  • Increase your technical, interpersonal and communication skills, both oral and written
  • Observe interactions of engineers with other professional groups
  • Gain contacts for future networking opportunities

Many employers also use Industrial Training to assess their potential future employees, you will also have the opportunity to determine if this is where you want your future career to be.

Q. Can I combine multiple placements to accumulate 60 days?

Yes, please see table. Note that only 3 placements in total can count towards your Industrial Training requirement.

Q. What does it mean that I have to comply with the EA Stage 1 competency and reflect it in my Final IT Report?

You must illustrate how you demonstrated the EA Stage 1 competencies during your work experience in your report.

Your placement should expose you to engineering tasks, skills and activities that demonstrate the EA Stage 1 compentencies. For example, you secure a placement at a car company. If your work is related to sales and customer service, it’s most likely not acceptable. If your work is involved with sustainable, engineering car design, it’s most likely satisfying specific conditions in the EA Stage 1 Competencies.

Q. Can I take a term off coursework to complete an IT placement? (ENGG4998)

Yes you can. You can enrol for one term only and you need to complete your 60 days and Final IT report in that term. You can enrol in ENGG4998 using this form by week 10 to the previous term before your placement and submit with your pre-approval web application form.

Enrolling into ENGG4998 means that you can keep your full time student load.

When you have completed all IT requirements, ENGG4998 will be added to your Academic Transcript.

Q. Can I undertake interstate and overseas opportunities?

We encourage you to do so. You will need to provide adequate information about the proposed nature of the work so we can make sure it is suitable.

For overseas opportunities, please be aware that workplace employment laws and safety standards differ from country to country. It is crucial that you have adequate insurance to cover your Industrial Training placement.

If you have secured approval for an international placement, it is recommended that you complete the Global departure requirements student.unsw.edu.au/ global-departure

And check with UNSW insurance to enquire whether you have appropriate coverage at your place of employment.

Q. What if my placement is part-time hours?

If your placement is part-time hours or casual basis, you will need too find out from your employer what constitutes as a standard working day for that company.

For example, a company may have a 8 hour working day. If you work for five hours, you will have to work three more hours to complete one working day towards your 60 days Industrial Training requirement.

Q. What are some common types of Industrial Training?

  • Research and Development in Engineering - Working in an office or hands on field work type activities 

  • Consulting in Engineering - Providing independent services, expertise and technical advice for specialised Engineering requirements 

  • The ChallENG Program: Student Projects Get involved in projects from health to transport, to robotics and flight by joining a Student Project  

  • The ChallENG Program: Social Impact Help solve a ChallENG for a community in need by joining a Social Impact project 

  • Research Internships - with an Employer or within a University setting, the opportunity must be industry focused 

  • Humanitarian Engineering Projects - with a Host organisation or part of a University project  

All Industry Training must be supervised by a qualified Engineering and be relevant to your program of study. 

Further Information

Best time to undertake Industrial Training

An engineering student’s Industrial Training must happen atthe same time they are enrolled at UNSW. Ideally this should be in year 3 of full-time study. Your Industrial Training doesn’t all have to happen in one stretch: your 60 days of engineering Industrial Training could be spread out over a year in an engineering internship or over your summer holidays at the end of the 2nd and 3rd years. Most of you would have done work experience at high school – this is just the next step up.

How to take a whole term off for Industrial Training (ENGG4998).

You can enrol into ENGG4998 for one term, which is equivalent to a full time study load
You can find the ENGG4998 enrolment form in the IT Moodle under forms
Complete the ENGG4998 enrolment form and upload with your supporting documentation via the preapproval application web form
Deadline for ENGG4998 enrolment forms is midnight Sunday of Week 10 of the term prior

Time limit for Industrial Training completion

If you do not complete your Industrial Training requirement during your program of study, you will not be able to graduate upon completion of your coursework. In extenuating circumstances, you can apply to complete Industrial Training after the completion of your program of study. The maximum time that may be granted to complete is 2 years. This must be approved by the Academic Industrial Training Coordinator.

If you are undertaking an unpaid Industrial Training placement, you may be required to take out additional insurance as you are no longer enrolled in a programme of study. It is recommended that you check with UNSW Insurance.

Incomplete Industrial Training after this two-year period will result in the student needing to show cause as to why they have not complete their Industrial Training requirements within the allotted time and make a case as to why they should be readmitted to their degree.

Recognition of prior learning

If you completed Industrial Training at a previous Tertiary institution or worked in industry prior to enrolling at UNSW, you can apply for Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL). Applying for RPL can count for up to 60 days of your Industrial Training requirement. You will still need to submit the Final IT Report. For your RPL application to be considered, it must:

  • You can apply for RPL any time during your program of study. We suggest you apply as early as possible, as the review and approval process can take up to 5 weeks
  • Your prior experience must be within the last 2 years
  • Your prior experience must have been completed with a position that is relevant to your current program and stream of study
  • Your prior experience must have been supervised by a
  • qualified Engineer


The company you are undertaking Industrial Training with should provide you with workers compensation and public liability insurances as a minimum, not UNSW. It is necessary for you to check with the company that insurance is provided and the extent of coverage. Australian employers carry workers compensation and public liability insurance cover for paid Industrial Training.

If you are undertaking unpaid Traditional Industrial Training, follow the steps required. Insurance cover is provided if you are undertaking work in Australia.

If you are undertaking an International placement, you are required register your travel with International SOS and prepare for departure with UNSW Global Education.

You may be required to take out additional insurance. If there are any concerns regarding this, then you should contact the UNSW Insurance.

How to find Industrial Training
Industrial Training Coordinators Contact Details

Get in touch with each coordinator here. 

Have an enquiry? Reach out via phone on (02) 9385 7661 or email: eng.wil@unsw.edu.au