Fees for Local Postgraduate Research students

Local research students (citizens and permanent residents of Australia and citizens of New Zealand) undertaking PhDs or MPhil at UNSW are not required to pay course tuition fees.


Why? Because all new local postgraduate research students enrolling in a Doctorate or Masters by research at UNSW are expected to be granted an exemption scholarship under the Commonwealth Government's Research Training Scheme. Find out more.

For further information relating to fee payment and policy please refer to our Fees Policy.

Fees for International Postgraduate Research students

Students enrolling at UNSW Australia generally need to pay tuition fees or student contribution charges.

Find out more about fees and costs for International postgraduate research students.

There are two other places International students can find out information about fees:

  • MyUNSW – for general information on fees and costs of study. 
  • UNSW Fee Estimator – where you can obtain an estimate of annual tuition fees or Commonwealth Support charges for a year of study. The estimate can either be a general estimate based on a broad study area or a more detailed estimate based on a selection of courses in particular subject areas. 


Share this