Student course evaluations
What is it?
On this webpage we present the student ratings of UNSW Engineering Courses. Ratings of overall student satisfaction are presented for all our teaching areas and schools.
Why did we do this?
UNSW Engineering is committed to transparency and accountability in support of our goal to provide excellent and innovative teaching to students. Via the UNSW Course and Teaching Evaluation and Improvement (CATEI) process, feedback is obtained and used to improve the student learning experience across UNSW Engineering and beyond. By publishing these scores we:
- Provide transparency on the student feedback for our teaching
- Promote public accountability in maintaining high standards
- Provide a tool to compare UNSW Engineering courses
Student feedback is an important part of our processes for continuous improvement in our teaching. Most of our courses enjoy excellent student satisfaction ratings which we celebrate. There is however always room for improvement, particularly in some courses. We look forward to working with our students, teachers and industry to do this.
How does it work?
Each semester students rate the quality of our courses, via the UNSW Course and Teaching Evaluation and Improvement (CATEI) process. We have collated the results of this survey process, and provided the quality ratings for overall course satisfaction as a percentage of students that Strongly Agree, Agree and Mildly Agree that the course quality was satisfactory. The data presented is an aggregate of feedback for multiple surveys undertaken during the period 2012-5. The only data not included here is for:
- courses with less than 10 aggregated responses
- thesis, research or special topic courses
- courses where the responses may identify individual staff members as proscribed by section 27(e) of the UNSW Australia (Academic Staff) Enterprise Agreement 2015
Engineering CATEI results from schools
- Biomedical Engineering
- Chemical Engineering
- Civil and Environmental Engineering
- Computer Science and Engineering
- Electrical Engineering and Telecommunications
- Mechanical and Manufacturing Engineering
- Mining Engineering
- Petroleum Engineering
- Photovoltaic & Renewable Energy Engineering
For more information on CATEI is available here.