This dual award program gives students the chance to develop their skills and knowledge in two areas of engineering - the major area of study leading to the professional qualification of a Bachelor of Engineering (Honours) degree plus an additional area leading to a Bachelor of Engineering Science degree. Students have the opportunity to enhance their professional opportunities through developing cross-disciplinary skills and knowledge within a five year program.
With this dual degree program, students take the 168 units of credit core of the Bachelor of Engineering (Honours) 3707 and the 96 units of credit core of the Bachelor of Engineering Science program 3706. Because of the overlap of 24 units of credit of engineering courses in both cores, the total units of credit required for completion is 240 UOC (5 years of full-time study or equivalent). The Faculty of Engineering administers the program, and delegates administration to the schools which offers the Engineering disciplines selected. Students should seek advice from the relevant School Offices in the first instance or from the Faculty of Engineering Student Centre.
Students will need to complete the full BE (Hons) 3707 stream in their main discipline. Please look at the handbook page for the stream for further details.
Students will also complete 96 UOC of the courses in their secondary discipline though this includes courses which are double counted (e.g. first year maths courses, ENGG1000). Students must complete at least 24 UOC of courses that are Level 3 or above (36 UOC for Civil Engineering).
Currently there are only a select number of discipline combinations available in this dual program. Students can see sample study plans for those combinations that are available in the following documents. Please consult the relevant schools for further details to ensure you can finish the program in the expected duration.
Sample Study Plans for students applying to the program
BE(Hons) Civil BEngSc Environmental
BE(Hons) Civil BEngSc Mining
BE(Hons) Environmental BEngSc Civil
BE(Hons) Mining BEngSc Civil
Sample study plans for those already in an engineering program.
* BE(Hons) Chemical BEngSc Petroleum
* BE(Hons) Mining BEngSc Petroleum
* BE(Hons) Mining BEngSc Mechanical
* BE(Hons) Mining BEngSc Electrical
* BE(Hons) Mining BEngSc Chemical
* BE(Hons) Petroleum BEngSc Chemical
* BE(Hons) Petroleum BEngSc Mining
* BE (Hons) Petroleum BEngSc Electrical
* BE (Hons) Petroleum BEngSc Civil
* BE (Hons) Petroleum BEngSc Mechanical
* BE (Hons) Mechatronics BEngSc Electrical
* BE (Hons) Electrical BEngSc Mechatronics
These are the recommended study plans although students can take other courses to satisfy the program requirements. Students who are considering other approaches should contact the school before enrolling in other courses as otherwise they may not be able to complete the dual award in the standard 5 year duration.
* NOTE: Only the Civil/Mining and Civil/Environmental combinations are available to those applying to the program. All other combinations are only for those currently in Engineering programs at UNSW who wish to transfer to these dual options.